Logo LVR-Landesmuseum BonnLogo LVR


The LVR-LandesMuseum Bonn provides unique insights into the cultural history of the Rhineland, one of Europe’s core regions. It is the largest and oldest museum run by the Rhineland Regional Council. The architecture of the museum looks back to a long history as well. In 1820, what is known as the LVR-LandesMuseum today was founded as the "Museum Rheinisch-Westfälischer Alterthümer in Bonn (Museum of Rhenish and Westphalian Antiquities in Bonn)". After plans by Clemens Guinbert, the museum received a new building in 1898, which was then expanded in 1907 by adding a two-story building with three wings according to plans by Heinrich Röttgen. In WWII, the original building was destroyed. Rainer Schell replaced this part with a new building in 1967, which was truly pioneering for its time. A six-year phase of remodeling this building began in 1997 after plans by the Stuttgart group of architects around Knut Lohrer in order to adapt the museum to the most modern museological and ecological standards. This new building, dedicated on 21 November 2003, reveals itself to be a kind of treasure chest: a three-story block of wood with a glass facade extending all the way around it and a glass porch facing Colmantstraße. Towards Bachstraße the reddish sandstone facade of 1905, under historical protection, attaches to the building. Transparency is an essential element of the overall architectural concept. The glass casing also conveys an impression of a "house in a display case", thus pointing directly to the function and meaning of the building as a museum. The new facade consists of horizontal bands of wood in alternation with slightly angled concrete components. The skewed concrete elements open up the facade with narrow windows and light up the interior. The inner facade of wood with the bulkhead partitions inside that represent the "chests unearthed and filled with findings” point to the significance of the LandesMuseum's vast archaeological collection that extends beyond the region. Essential materials used on the building were glass, steel, wood, and concrete. These were left in their natural states, i.e., untreated in as far as no protective measures were necessary with respect to corrosion or the like. This reduced use of materials resulted in an immateriality that makes visitors merely aware of the space, but otherwise directs the focus to the contents, the exhibition pieces and staging of the collection. Access to the old and new part of the museum buildings is provided via the glass porch. From here, one reaches the skylight hall of the historical museum building, newly designed with a barrel-vaulted ceiling of glass. In addition to spaces for the exhibition and depot, the new building also houses a library as well as workshop and seminar rooms. To the left side of the building is the sculpture courtyard, a small zone of quiet in the inner city, which serves as a public throughway for pedestrians between Colmantstraße and Bachstraße. Next to it is the entry to an underground parking garage laid out in two light stories with nearly 100 parking spaces. To the right side, one gazes into the courtyard that provides access for transports to the museum administration, workshops, and the depot. The former administration and library building has been enlarged with annexes. Here today, in brightly lit workshops, laboratories, and studios is one of the largest and most modern restoration and conservation workshops in Europe, which enjoys international repute. Exhibition pieces and findings from ground monument preservation are recorded, researched and restored here. The administration rooms of the museum are located in former residential buildings on Bachstraße.


LVR-LandesMuseum Bonn, Colmantstr. 14-16, 53115 Bonn

Tel. +49 (0) 228 / 2070 - 0, Fax +49 (0) 228 / 2070 - 299

Opening Hours Museum

TUE - FRI, SON 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., SAT 1 p.m. - 6 p.m., MON closed

Guided tours for school groups available from 10 a.m.

Opening Hours Library

MON - FRI 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.